Monday, July 28, 2014

Tufer Origins Chapter 2: Six Years Ago

 The first memory I have of my old life took place six years ago. All I remember was being cold, wet, and in pain. That's when he found me, The Farmer. I called him Pop. Next thing I can recall is waking up on a makeshift bed made of straw, a fire providing comfort, and the most beautiful girl bunny I had ever seen in my life. I tried to introduce myself to her, but the only thing I managed to utter was, "AAAARRRGGHHH!!!" My ribs were definitely broken. She immediately told me to lay still as she ran to the door of the shelter. Ok, I won't argue.

 I hear her call out, "Pop! He's awake!" "Good," I hear an older man reply. I glanced over to see a human figure enter the shelter, followed by the bunny. For reasons unknown to me, when the man crouched beside me, I immediately reacted by throwing my hands up into a defensive stance. "Calm down, friend. Everything is ok. You are safe here." I glared at the man, unwavering in my focus despite the excruciating pain.

 Then she spoke.

"Really you are ok now. We found you clinging to life on the Market Road. He saved you."

Something in her voice completely disarmed me. I dropped my guard. "I'm...I'm Tufer," I managed to grunt. The Farmer stood up and smiled, "Call me Pop, my friend. Iffin' ya give me a moment, I'll be back with some medicine." "Thank you, Pop," I replied nervously. As soon as Pop slipped out, the girl bunny approached me, I couldn't help but stare at her. Something about her, she was special. "I'm Ony, I'm so glad you are still with us Tufer. Let me get you something to eat," I could only nod as she smiled and went to grab a bowl of something. "I made some carrot stew, yeah, I know its stereotypical for us rabbits to eat carrots. But they are just so damn good dontcha think?" I laughed a little, it hurt, but I didn't care. I grabbed the bowl and started chowing down on what would become my favorite dish for the rest of my, well, life.

"Do you remember anything?"

"No....nothing....only that my name is Tufer. This stew is amazing by the way."

"Thank you," she grinned. I was caught in a trance, the stew started to dribble out of my mouth. "Umm Tufer," she pointed. "Oh shit! I'm sorry....I was just trying to remember...remember anything," yeah real smooth there Tufer, you old suave SOB.

"Haha! Its totally ok! Well, I guess you would like to know where we are right? I have to go back into my own past a little," she got really serious and looked away from me, "I was abandoned in a burrow close to Pop's garden. He found me alone, crying because I hadn't eaten in a long time. That's what he had told me at least," she paused for a minute with a grim expression, deep in though. I felt so bad for her. She looked back up at me smiled, "Anyway, I have lived here my whole life repaying Pop for saving me by helping him out with the garden. Sadly, time hasn't been kind to him and the harvests have been getting smaller." "I...I am so sorry to hear all of that...seriously though, thank you for all you have done to help me. As soon as daylight hits, I will be on my way. I'll find some way to pay you and Pop back for the kindness."

"Well you can stay here and help me n' Ony out with the garden if you want to pay us back that much," we both turned to see the kind old man standing in the doorway holding medicine, "You just rest now and get back yer strength alright?" "Thank you, sir. I will. And I promise that you won't be disappointed," I replied.

This was the beginning of my old life. Ony and I developed a rather unique bond over the course of the next five years. She was my best friend, my confidant, the only being I trusted and loved...well besides Pop. I guessed this is what a family felt like. I still don't remember anything before meeting Ony for the first time and I don't know if I ever truly want to. I was happy. Life was good.




Then, a year ago, those bastards came.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it professional, because I don't know what he might do.